Monday, July 20, 2009

3. What I Did for Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Romance novel: Check!

This is another book that I read about online. The blogger who posted about it described it as a romance novel and it sounded good, so I thought I could get my one romance novel checked off early. When I picked it up at the library, I was a little doubtful from the cover that it was an actual romance novel. It just didn't look like a bodice ripper to me, you know? When I got to the first sex scene, I discovered that I stood corrected.

The basic premise of What I Did for Love is this: Former child star and America's sweetheart, Georgie York, is dumped by her action star husband after he meets a serious actress/humanitarian on the set of their new movie. Georgie is left on her own with the overwhelming sympathy (read: pity) of the media and the public. Sound familiar? Luckily, the similarity to the Jen-Brad-Angelina scandal ends there and the story really takes off. Georgie accidentally marries her reviled former co-star Bram in Vegas, and the two decide to fake a happy marriage for the positive publicity and ensuing career boosts. And of course, after a few twists and turns they fall in love and live happily ever after. (Sorry about the spoiler, but come on. What did you think was going to happen?)

The story was well constructed, the characters were three dimensional and well developed, and there was a lot of heart to the story. Aside from a couple of over-used phrases and Georgie's father's sex scene, this book was a pleasant surprise. I highly recommend it, if you're in the market for a fun and saucy (read: not sleazy) romance novel.

No comments: