Wednesday, May 26, 2010

71. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart

I checked this book out of the library after reading this on my friend Sarah's Facebook page:

Currently in love with "The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks" by E. Lockhart. Seriously. Read it in 4 hours on Saturday evening. You all must read so we can discuss! LOVE IT!

How could I resist?

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 14:
Debate Club.
Her father's "Bunny Rabbit."
A mildly geeky girl attending a highly competitive boarding school.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 15:
A knockout figure.
A sharp tongue.
A chip on her shoulder.
And a gorgeous new senior boyfriend: the supremely goofy, word-obsessed Matthew Livingston.

Frankie Landau-Banks:
No longer the kind of girl to take "no" for an answer.
Especially when "no" means she's excluded from her boyfriend's all-male secret society.
Not when her ex-boyfriend shows up in the strangest of places.
Not when she knows she's smarter than any of them.
When she knows Matthew is lying to her.
And when there are so many, many pranks to be done.

Frankie Landau-Banks at age 16:
Possibly a criminal mastermind.

This is the story of how she got that way.

Plot summary lifted from the book jacket. Intriguing, no?

It was so good! I love The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks! I also read it in one night, I couldn't put it down. For some reason, I'm always into stories set at boarding schools and I think there's usually potential for awesomeness when a secret society is involved. So this book was a good fit for me to begin with, and it was so clever and quick-witted that it completely won me over, hands down. I have great love and respect for Frankie, and would like to see more protagonists like her in YA fiction. (As much as I like Twilight, Frankie wipes the floor with Bella in the role model category.) I really enjoyed her fascination with words -- she's not only clever, but fun as hell. And while her ideas are so radical to the other characters in the book, they made complete sense to me (as I suspect they would to most young women). If you are a fan of YA novels in any way, shape or form, PLEASE read this book! I can almost guarantee that you will love it as much as I did.

No comments: